Theresa’s recent post in the adoption parenting blog got me thinking of my own favorite adoption related quotes….
I love quotes. They can inspire, motivate, or move me. I have a “quote box” which is basically just an index card box that I decorated. I write different quotes that I consider meaningful on an index card and stick it in the quote box. I have the box divided into sections, so if I need a quote for something all I have to do is go to that particular section and pull out the cards and read the quotes. I’m adding new quotes all the time.
Below are my top ten favorite quotes from the adoption section of my quote box.
1. “If a mother and father can love more than one child then why is it so hard to understand that a child can love more than one mother and father?” ~ Unknown
2. “When she looks in the mirror, we want our daughter to know herself. It’s hard to face the world when you don’t know where your face came from.” ~ Adoptive parents
3. “However motherhood comes to you, it’s a miracle.” ~ Valerie Harper, adoptive mother
4. “Adoption comes from the heart, but the adoption process comes from the Law. You should follow your heart, but be sure you also follow the law.” ~ Irina O’Rear
5. “An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.” ~ An ancient Chinese belief
6. “Children and mothers never truly part, bound together by the beating of one another’s heart.” ~ Charlotte Gray (This one is pictured on the graphic image above.)
7. “Giving birth does not make a mother…. Placing a child for adoption does not make her less of one.” ~ Unknown
8. “There are two different kinds of strength. There’s the strength to make a parenting plan and then there’s the strength to give that plan to another.”
9. “Having a child means a piece of your heart is walking around in the world.” ~ Unknown
10. “Children need two things. One is roots and the other is wings.” ~ Unknown
Graphic credit – Me!